Friday, February 7, 2020

October Faction Series - Review



I just discovered October Faction last year and instantly got sucked in. So when I saw that it was getting a Netflix series I was really I was excited. Even more so when I saw the cast. However, I know how this game goes. So I knew things were going to be different, but there is a such thing as too much change. But, let's start with some positives.

The first episode I was on board with the changes. None of them were so major that it pulled away from the family. Yeah, I was sad we didn't get the dusty old Professor Allen, and I was kind of excited we got a bit more back story with Allen and Deloris. Not just with the Twins. So I was on board. I even forgave the fact that Fred wasn't quite the badass he was in the comics. Because the Twins were spot on, and so was Deloris.

Even the new plot was great, easy to follow along and get a head of. There was a nice array of monsters for the Allen family to battle, and the vampire were super cool with their long freaking teeth. So for the first few episode I was down with where this whole thing was going.

Then it got weird.

The backstory with twins went from something like a rescued from a crazed witch, to being kidnapped from a sanctuary. It got very weird after that and it was unnecessary. There is a whole graphic novel and Vivian and Geoff's backstory inside Harlow House. There was no reason to spin into what was basically a massacre. Even if they needed a turning point for the Allen's to change their view on monsters. There is an actual point in the graphic novels for this with Fred's partner turning into a werewolf.

However the one I think that pushed me over the edge was the changes made to Dante. Who was my favorite character. He such a cool character with a sad backstory, but he becomes an Allen and starts training with the Twins. The story arc he had was small, but it was a good one that could have easily been an episode. One that easily fit into the new story line. There was no need to change it, or do what they did at the end. Dante just got served better in the graphic novel than he did in the series in my opinion.

Basically I raged watched the last two episodes just to see what else the changed. Because the series hits this weird three-ish episode arc where nothing really makes since and you sort hope it's one big con. Only it's not and Fred and Deloris are actually really terrible people who we try to redeem in the end.

I'm just really bummed that this fell so flat for me because the actors who play Vivian and Geoff where amazing, and I will forever ship Geoff and Phillip. I was very happy that those two got a better ending than in the graphic novels.

I think I saw a the show might be getting a season two, and I can understand why for those who jumped straight into the series. Honestly if I hadn't ready the graphic novels first I might be singing a different tune. So I don't think I'll be continue on with the Netflix series. I will however be continuing the graphic novels series.

HAPPY READING & WATCHING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment