Thursday, February 13, 2020

Locke&Key Series Review



This is one of my favorite Graphic Novels, and I've been waiting what seems like ages for it to finally get made! And, this was well worth the wait. I was so pleasantly surprised with how this first season went. Yes, a things have changed from one format to the other. I just didn't feel like anything we lost was anything important to the story. This series is proof you don't have to change a thousand pieces to turn a good story into movie or series. 

Hands down though the Graphic Novel series is much more violent than the show. Not that there isn't a bit of violence in the show, but just not as much as there could of been. Honestly was I was cool with the change. The show focuses more on the Keys and the Locke kids. It sort lets the supernatural aspect pull you in, with a few bouts of gratuitous violence here and there.

My favorite part about this is how the tied everything together. We start the first episode with what's left of the Locke Family arriving at Key House, and as the story unfold we found out more and more of what happened to Rendell. You slowly get to see what happened to the first group that called themselves the Keepers of the Keys. All while watching as the Locke children find more and more of the hidden keys. As the navigate what each one can do and just how dangerous they are.

As I mentioned the Netflix version is toned way down on the violence than the Graphic Novel, but I didn't feel like it pulled away from the story. I enjoyed that the Anywhere Key was the first Bode found. It lead to a cute little moment as he learned to use them. It was also nice to Nina Locke not have so much trauma and get to be there for kids a little more. Her character in the novel has a hard time. But, Dodge was spot on in the Netflix series for me. She was creepy and sinister. I felt like both actors did a great job. The writers did a really good job to take the pieces they didn't need, and only add pieces that pushed the plot along. None of the big points where change, and no characters were totally made over.

Even Rufus as spot on, and he was the one I thought they'd change. And, bless them for not changing Scot. He was still the freaking weirdest. And Bode, ugh, he's still the cutest.

I also really enjoyed that we didn't use the first season to introduce all the keys. There are still so many left around the house. The first season focused on the keys that Dodge needed to get where it needed to go. Means that season two, if we get one, there are more keys to find. I also enjoyed the handful of new keys that were created just for the Netflix series. Each new key served its own little purpose for the story, and the Matchstick Key is really cool. I'm also interested to see if some of the keys we don't see much in the Graphic Novel will get any sort of screen time. The Owl Key is one that was really cool, but we only saw in maybe one panel of the Graphic Novel.

The series was just really good! It moved along very quickly, but was easy to follow despite several stories were being told at once. There was never a point where I had to stop and rewind to figure out what was going on. Each flashback was slipped in perfectly at the right time. I loved that we tied up the Sam Lesser plot in season one even with episodes to spare. It was nice way to tied up why Rendell Locke was killed.

I'm just really happy with how this first season turned out, and I'm excited for season two. This does however call for a bit of re-read this winter I think. Because I was able to keep up with first season in knowing where the plot was going, but I couldn't remember where they could go next. I don't remember what with Dodge. So my fingers are crossed there will be a Season Two!

HAPPY READING & WATCHING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment