Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The Princess and the Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Review


Author: Deya Muniz
Genre: Graphic Novel
Format: Hardback
Pages: 256


From the minute I saw this cover I knew I needed to read this book. Food will always be one of my love languages. So a love story that is based around a mutual love for grilled cheeses, set in a land where everything is named after cheese. I was all in, book on Hold at the library, and would drop everything to read on my next day off. Luckily was in between books when this came in the latter wasn't much of a problem.

And, this was exactly what I wanted it to be. Adorable and then some. It follows the classic romance trope that is tried and true, but fits with the storyline perfectly. Though serious props to the dad in this for already having a backup plan for his daughter who refused to marry. Knowing full well he'd never be able to change her mind when the worst finally happened. 

Now, romance isn't my usual reading genre. So I can't really speak to the romance side of things, but I thought it they were both cute and caught all the little romance tropes that the author squeezed in. I also like that this was a stand-alone book. So while the book is a slow-burn romance, but the end of the book you already know what's going to happen. And, happy endings make a nice change of pace to my usual endings.

Also with a book like this, anything but a happy ending would be rude.

The art and colors really bring this world to life. I love the team they got to bring this amazing story together. Everything is bright and cheery but turns darker when things take a turn for the worst. All of the detail that went into every costume and building is absolutely amazing as well. This is one of those graphic novels that you look at every single page carefully because there are so many hidden details. I could read this one again, and I wouldn't be surprised if I found things I missed the first time around. Even though I took my time.

You can really tell that story came from the author's heart, and I recommend reading the author's notes before starting the story. It really set the scene for what I was about to dive into, and I'm so glad I gave that a peak first. Because it gives a little insight into both of these characters and the dresses at the end. It was the perfect book to pick up after a stressful week, and I'm so glad my library recommended it to me!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment