Thursday, December 22, 2022

Gremlins - Review

Author: Greg Gripe
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 278


This was one of my favorite movies growing up, and it's' one of my favorites to re-watch around Christmas time. So back in November, I was super excited to snag this off the shelf at a bookstore back in my hometown.  And, I couldn't think of a better time to crack it open.

I will say that I went into this expecting nothing. Book adaptations from movies at best are the movie scene for scene with nothing new added. At worse they turn out to be every moment edited out of the movie.

Gremlins oddly fell somewhere in the middle. While it was scene-for-scene in parts, there were also a bit more that I don't feel like we got in the movie. Billy and Gizmo are the main characters of the movie, but with a book, we got a bit more of the other characters. Both of Billy's parents got chapters of their own from the point of view. Even Mrs. Deagle got a few chapters from her point of view, and I stand by she deserved everything she got.

And, she's got the coolest death in both the book and the film.

The best part of this book, in my opinion, was the fact that both Gizmo and Stripe had chapters in their point of view. It was cool to finally learn a little more about the Mogwai. I've not seen the second movie, so I don't know if we learn about the origins of the Mogwai there, but we did in the movie which I thought was pretty cool.

We also learned a few more rules about the Mogwai as creatures and why they turn into Gremlins. I thought it was pretty neat. Creature features have always been my favorite, so it was kind of cool to learn more about the little guys.

Plus, Stripe is my favorite character in the movie. So getting chapters from his point of view was fun. 

This book turned out to be more fun than I thought. Though, it did kind of drag about the last third of the book, about where the movie would have gotten good. For some reason it felt like two of the chapters dragged on, and I think it's because I knew how it was going to end, and at that point, it seemed silly to keep going. But I did read its cover to cover because I do like the end of the movie.

So if you're a fan of the movie, this is a fun read, especially with the movie soundtrack playing in the background.



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment