Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Luck Girl - Review

Author: M. Rickert
Genre: Horror
Format: Paperback
Pages: 112
I couldn't think of a better book to pick over Christmast than Lucky Girl. Because there's no better time for a Krampus Story. Also, I wanted to squeeze in one more Christmas read before the holiday was over. The bonus was that this is the fastest I've jumped on a Night Worms read. I also went into this book with high hopes. because I've heard nothing but good things about it from all over Bookstagram. 

This is where we get to the downside of this book. It really hit the middle of the road for me. It started out really stronger with a group of new friends celebrating Christmas together, telling their own kinds of ghost stories. I was also digging the story inside the story as we slowly started to get Ro's background story. All of this set everything up to something spooky and gnarly.

There was this great build-up of Ro getting the bell and then being invited to the estate. At this point, I figured out who the bad guy was, and I was like yes, feed him to Krampus! I was on board this train. 

What I ended was getting was a jumbled bunch of meh...

Personally, I thought the whole wrap to the book didn't fit. Ro was such a careful and paranoid character up until the last few pages. Then all of a sudden she was in love and everything was fine and the world was right again. After everything, she'd been through. It was just hard to believe that she wouldn't have been suspicious. I just felt like the last third of the book was disjointed and didn't work. And, the death of the stalker felt wrong in my soul as well.

He just gave it so easily. I felt like there should have been more of a fight, after every terrible thing he'd done to win Ro's heart. To finally have her, to just leave and end up like that. I don't know, it felt rushed like the author was trying to get to the next time jump. To the next Christmas.

Also, for a book that was about how Krampus made the main character a horror writer, I mean yeah in the abstract sense it did. I was just expecting there to be more Krampus in the story with a title like that. Not these random couple of glimpses we got. And, the ending was also meh. It left me unsatisfied in a way that sucked. 

This book had loads of potential and I loved Ro as the main character and narrator. I just wished it wasn't a novella. Being so short I feel lost so much of what there could have been in this story. It needed more pages to flush everything out. I think being so short is what hurt this book the most because I adored the writing style of this author.

Don't get me wrong I love short horror, done right it can scare the pants off me. But I never felt scared with this book, never felt on edge, I just felt like Ro was quickly telling me about her trauma and then how she repeated her mistakes again as an adult. I just needed more. But, I'd definitely pick up another book by this author. 




HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment