Monday, January 1, 2018

End of Year Survey - 2017 Edition

Best books of 2017



Number Of Books You Read: 53
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Graphic Novels


1. Best Book You Read In 2017?

Warlock Holmes by G.S. Denning

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill

3. Most surprising (in a good way) book you read?  

Berserker by Emmy Laybourne


4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

Lost Boy by Christina Henry

 5. Best of 2017:

Best series you started? Berserker by Emmy Laybourne

Best Sequel?: Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Jamie Kaufman

Best Series Ender?: Chew Series by John Layman


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Definitely have to go with Christina Henry. I absolutely loved Lost Boy, and I'm very excited for her new book The Mermaid that comes out in 2018!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller 
I've had very good experience with books based in the Greco-Roman era, but this was amazing! I had a very hard time putting it down.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Gemina: The Illuminae Files #2 by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

 9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Not sure if I'll re-read any of the books on my list next year. But, I could see myself re-reading the Illuminae Series before the movie comes out...if that's even still a thing.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?

Alien Next Door: In space, No One Can Hear You Clean by Joey Spiotto


11. Most memorable character of 2017?

Warlock Holmes from of Warlock Holmes: The Hell-hound of the Baskervilles by G.S. Denning.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners by Therese Oneill

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read? 

Chew Vol. 1 by John Layman

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?

"You can't! I have a gun!"

"I see that, and it's very scary," said Holmes, giving Williamson's shoulder a reassuring pat, "but in just one moment, I'm about to have a Grogsson."

-Warlock Holmes: The Hell-hound of the Baskervilles by G.S. Denning

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?



 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

Lost Boy by Christina Henry

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Hanne and Owen from Berserker #1 by Emmy Laybourne.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Warlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson from Warlock Holmes: The Hell-hound of the Baskervilles G.S. Denning.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Tortall: A Spy's Quide by Tamora Pierce

21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

I just realized I didn't read anything else based any of my friends who read, despite a friend of mine giving me a couple of books she thought I'd love. #bummer I'll have to make a point to read them in 2018.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?

Owen Bennett from Berserker #1 by Emmy Laybourne

23. Best 2017 debut you read?

Lost Boy by Christina Henry

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Tortall: A Spy's Guide by Tamora Pierce

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Warlock Holmes: The Hell-hound of the Baskervilles by G.S. Denning

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Cat's Are Weird and More Observations by Jeffery Brown

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?

Gemina: The Illuminae Files #2 by Jamie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

For all the best reasons Lost Boy by Christina Henry, because I had so many emotion as that book came to a close.


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?

Dinosaur! We read a lot of the same genres so it's also nice to see if she's got anything I haven't seen yet, and see how she liked I book I've yet to pick up.  You can find her blog here!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?

Warren the 13th and the Whispering Woods by Tania Del Rio
I adore this book series so much, and the review was so fun to write. A review which can be found here!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

I actually managed a couple of these this year! Both of them were a blast to write, but of the two of them one of them held out of over the other. The post can be found here!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I met Mr. Feeny! Not only did I grow up watching Boy Meets World, but also Knight Rider. So I jumped at the chance to hear William Daniels talk about his career. The best surprise was that we got to meet him! It was an amazing night, but I really need to read his book...

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?

I got to be involved this year with the #BerserkerStreetTeam to help promote Emmy Laybourne's new series Berserker. It was the first time I was able do something like this. Not only was it was a lot of fun, but the book was amazing! I'm excited to get my hands on the next part of the series!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

That I need make enough to time to read in 2017. I left other things get in the way, which resulted in my physical TBR doubled this year. Something I plan on changing in 2018.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

I went by views, and my post on how How to Survive Your First Convention was the winner with 136 views. Which may not seem like a lot, but I've been blogging for a year. So it was pretty freaking exciting for me!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Definitely my review of Tortall: A Spy's Guide because I'm a huge fan of Tamora Pierce. I've been reading her books since I was a kid.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

We've officially been at our place for a year and I'm still discovering everything about this place. However this summer I found a beach that has a wonderful place to spread out and read in the sun. Which is something you take advantage of PNW! I also discovered a wonderful used bookstore that has an amazing selection.


10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?

Age of Swords by Micheal J. Sullivan

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?

Tempest and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

The Tombs by Deborah Schaumberg
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan, Book 3 in The Legends of the First Empire Series

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?

My flatmate and I are taking a two month hiatus from our local library. Not because we've stopped loving it, but because our physical TBR's have grown to the point it's about to over take us. So for those two months we'll only be reading books we own. My hope (if my life doesn't spiral out of control) is track what I read through Bookish Whispers. I just need to figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment