Friday, April 17, 2020

Hidden History of Kansas - Review

Author: Adrian Zink
Genre:  Nonfiction
Format: Paperbak
Pages: 192

So I am the nerd that will go to the National Park and see all the amazing things, find the gift shop, and then buy a book. This however is not one of those books. This was a wonderful gift from my parents, and the got me a good one.

I really enjoyed Hidden History of Kansas. While there was a few bits I did know, as a whole I learned a lot about the State a grew up in. Places that I didn't know existed, but have found their way onto my bucket list to visit. It was a lot of fun for both me and flatmate when something new popped up that neither of us knew about. We both got to learn something new.

My favorite thing about this book was how easy it was to read. Adrain Zink does a great job at telling you about this piece of history without taking a side, but it's not dry. Never once did I feel like I was reading a history book for some class. Zink will throw in a bit of humor here and there, or some random thought about what he is telling you. It's engaging and fun.

Plus, the photos are a nice touch. A nice visual of who this section is about, or a visual of what is being talked about. They are a nice break from the story telling, but they don't take away from what your learning.

Honestly I didn't know so many weird and interesting things happened in my home state. I feel a little cheated from the Kansas History class I took back in Junior High, which may have been a bit ago.

There were a few editing issues here and there: miss spelled words and a couple a times where words were missing. But, as a whole it was a really fun book that I absolutely devoured. Normally it takes me a bit to get through a nonfiction book. That was not the case with Hidden Histories I devoured it in two days!

The best part of the whole book is a few the places that were mentioned had some great memories attached to them. Either from being able to go myself with my family, or stories my family tells from trips before I was even a thought. So that was really fun as well.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I'd say buy. I'm definitely going pass my copy along to someone I know who would love to read it. It's one of those books that can be passed around.


HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment