Friday, April 24, 2020

Warlock Holmes: My Grave Ritual - Review

Author: GS Denning
Genre:  Mystery / Humor / Paranormal
Format: Paperbak
Pages: 432

I had one hundred percent forgotten how much I love this books and it's duo. It's an absolute delight to read. Warlock and Watson are one of my favorite literary duos right now, and Warlock is most definitely one characters of all time. He's such a precious bean! 

Where to start with this gem?! It's hard because I loved so much about this book. I think one of my favorite things is how seamlessly GS Denning managed to remind the readers of what happened in the last book, Hell-hound of Baskervilles, without making it feel like we relived the whole book again. There were just quick little off hand comments made by Watson that had it all flooding back to me. Which was great since sadly it had been a year and some change since I read the last book.

I'm the absolute worst at keeping up with series!

Grave Ritual is a little bigger than the other two books, but it follows a cohesive timeline during one winter for our duo. I love how the cases started to interconnect as you went through the book. Some had some little pieces here in there. Some had bigger ones that certain characters, Warlock, forgot to mention. 

It's a honestly a wild ride from start to finish. It's outrageous, funny, and honestly hard to put down. I've definitely been reading past my bedtime, and reading when I should be doing things like putting laundry away. I just had to know what was about to happen next. 

And, even though you know the end world is coming to an end. It's hard to care when comes to the crazy things that comes out of Warlock's mouth, or the random things that he does. 

One thing I felt in this book, that I don't remember thinking the last one, is how much more like a team Watson and Warlock feel like. Two years have passed and you can definitely feel it. In the way that Warlock knows Watson, and the way that Watson knows when shenanigans are about to happen. There is definitely more trust between the two, and the really sort of feel like a found family. Warlock really cares about his friend. It's lovely!

Hands down my favorite thing is the story The Red Headed League. Only because it's told from Warlock's point of view, and I need more of this! It was an absolute ride! I laughed my through his dialog and I was sad to when the story was over. Not that I don't love Watson, but I love the way that Warlock sees the world. The little weirdo.

Honestly there were only a couple of things in this books I could have done without, and it has nothing to do with how wonderfully these stories were written, or how much fun it seems GS Denning had retelling these stories in such away. It all boils down to personal reasons. I honestly could have done without the creepy dolls. Did not like that at all. Also the very melted man. While kudos on the description there, I gagged a lot. Just ew...

All-in-all, I loved it and it was the perfect I need with what's going on in the world. It's a whole lot of fun and wonderful, comical, take on the cannon I love so much.

Buy, Borrow, or Skip: I saw buy. This is one of those series I could go back and read again and again.



HAPPY READING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment