Thursday, January 26, 2023

Wait Till Helen Comes - Review

Author: Mary Downing Hahn & Scott Peterson
Genre: Horror / Graphic Novel
Format: Paperback
Pages: 160


I just recently discovered Mary Downing Hanh's books last year thanks to my Aunt. Despite reading this genre when her books were being released, I never stumbled across them at my local library at the time. Which wasn't surprising because it was small and struggling. It's still small and struggling. But, thanks to my Aunt bringing one from a book drive at her local library, I've discovered them. And, their fun, spooky, and something pre-teen me would have devoured.

Wait Till Helen Comes is everything you want from a '90s middle-grade, young adult, horror novel: parents who don't understand, unfortunate siblings, a spooky house, and a scary story surrounding it. In all those things this book doesn't disappoint and thinking it's the perfect story to have been turned into a graphic novel. Having illustrations of the church, house, and little graveyard help the story. Along with little glimpses of Helen here and there. It all folds perfectly into the story that Hahn originally weaved.

Since I never read the original book, I can't tell you how well this sticks to that story. I can say the story moves along at a decent pace. I like that there are cutouts of Molly's inner dialogue so you aren't just relying on the panels to help the story. So much of this story is based around Molly's fears, it's nice to have them laid out in front of you. Things that younger, and maybe older readers can relate to as the story unfolds.

Despite what some reviewers have said, I like that this story wasn't "aged up" or rewritten to fit into right now. It gives the story a throwback feel that I don't think is amiss with younger readers, and draws in older readers, especially ones like me who sometimes want that nostalgic read after a heavier read. Which is what this was, I had summers like this, chasing fireflies, trekking through a creak. Keeping those elements along with the '90s sort of dialog was really fun for me.

Also, I really liked the ending. For the age range this graphic novel, and book, was targeted for, I feel like a tidy ending is what's called for. I wouldn't say everything was tied up with a bow, but the main mystery was solved, my heart broke a little at the climax of the story, but I was left feeling hopeful. 

My only complaint about this one was that some of the panels were too dark. I had to sort of contort the book toward the light and somehow avoid the glare from the glossy pages to see what was going on. So I'm sure there were little details that were missed because the panels were too dark. Also, if you read under the covers with the flashlight on, those panels would be almost impossible to see. 

But, this was a creepy, kind of sad, but a solid read. Nice little cleanser between listening to my very intense audiobook! And, I feel like this team did Mary Downing Hahn justice, and I really need to read more of her books!



HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment