Top Ten Tuesday is a meme started by The Broke and the Bookish!
This week's topic is the Top Ten Most Underrated, or Hidden Gems, We've Read in the Past Year or So. I'm going to back farther than a year. Over the weekend I went through some my favorite books and picked the ones that I feel I don't see so often on blogs. These are also books I've recommended to other readers!
- Anno Dracula by Kim Newman -I love Kim Newman's writing style and I got pretty attached to Miss Kate Reed as a main character. A lot of research and time went into this retelling and I wish it got a lot more love!!
- Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride - This books (duology) is freaking hilarious! What I loved the most about this book was it wasn't the usual trope when it came to paranormal books. It wasn't just about boy meets girl and then saves the world. It was more like girl saves boy, and somehow boy manages not to die while saving the world. Plus werebear! WEREBEAR!
- Alanna, the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce - This book came our almost thirty years ago, and Pierce is still writing books in this world. Personally, I feel like her books to get enough spotlight. She has strong female leads, amazing lands, and strong stories! I'm excited for the Numair books. Finally the absent minded Mage is getting his own book!!
- God Save the Queen by Kate Locke - Best accidental find ever! Kate Locke's female lead takes is a no nonsense kind of women, and she evens gets the man in the end. These books are hilarious and action packed! What's not to love: steampunk, werewolves, vampires, and science experiments gone very, very, wrong! Plus a good old fashion boy meets girl! Or, well, werewolf.. :)
- The Yard by Alex Grecian - This a Victorian Mystery that takes place after the Ripper, and is told party from the killers point of view. The entire series is solid and the characters great! Each book has creeped me out, and I recommend them to anyone who loves mysteries.
- Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Okay, yeah it was made into a movie. Which I adore, but the book is so much more! Despite only by around 250 pages, there so much between the pages. Behind the gore and the bleak world is a deep look a the world around us. Isaac Marion is an amazing writer and more people should pick up his books.
- The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan - Hadrian and Royce are one of my favorite literary bromances! In fact, if I had to pick a fictional boyfriend, I'd chose Royce! The world building is amazing, the characters strong, and the banter is the best part. Riyria is an amazing series that I'd love to see more people pick up.
- Delilah Dirk by Tony Cliff - A graphic novel that follows the adventure of not so Victorian Lady Delilah and her friend Selim. Not only is the artwork top notch, but the story is amazing! If you loved Nimona, then Delilah is a must read!
- Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero - This book! It was creepy, weird, and told through surveillance footage (think Illuminae Files, kinda). The characters are strong and the plot is faced paced. It's very X-Files in theme. I made the mistake of finishing it in the middle of the night alone in my house. I think I double checked the door four times and slept with my lamp on that night.
- Warlock Holmes, A Study in Brimstone by GS Denning - I will fangirl about this book until I'm blue in the face. I loved the switch around with Holmes and Watson. I loved how Moriarty happened in the last story, and Inspector Gregson should always be an orge. One of my favorites books to be released in 2016!
What about you lot? What books do you think go underrated?